Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Recovery Begins!

People have asked me, "why are you publicizing this?  What's going on?  What are your plans now?"
Dialysis needle in the arm

I envisioned helping my mother over 7 years ago when she rejected to have my kidney; I had planned to raise awareness for living and deceased organ donation.  I didn't know exactly what I was going to do, or how I was going to do it, but I knew that in order to make it a norm, people have to know about it.  

I strongly encourage people to become donors because it can save lives.  My mother wasn't the only one waiting for a kidney, her hospital (St. Paul's) and Dialysis Clinic was packed every day with many others in her same situation, young and old.  They all have to wait somewhere between 5 to 10+ years to hopefully get a deceased kidney.
Last week of dialysis!  02/22/2015
Today is the 6 week mark from the day we had surgery.  It is also the day that I had planned the "Organ Donation Awareness and Fundraiser Bike Ride Across Canada".  It will no longer be this year, as I had just been told by the surgeon and Nephrologist that it was a bad idea and to wait at least 6 months.  

This has been a long journey that seems to have only begun.  

No comments:

Post a Comment